Our Space
© 2006 by D. R. E. All rights reserved.
While this story is far from my best work, I felt I should finish it. Some of the places and names are real, but the story and the characters are pure fiction and should not be construed as real people or even close to real people. This story has been bothering me for weeks, and I'm glad to have it out so I can move on to other things. Enjoy, dis, or whatever.
Our Space
Jenny Lucas and Becca Johnson were best friends. They did everything together, and if you were to see them walking down the street, you’d be hard-pressed to tell them apart, except for their hair color. They liked the same clothes, music, movies, hair styles, make-up, and boys. Jenny was always the more outgoing of the two, being the blonde. Becca was very quiet and reserved. Most people wouldn’t even notice Becca if Jenny wasn’t standing right beside her. Usually when someone tries to talk to Becca it’s hard to see her eyes beneath her long brown bangs.
Jenny and Becca met in first grade and in the ensuing ten years had become inseparable. As they entered their junior year of high school, they made plans to buy a car to share, go to the prom, and get their senior pictures taken together the following summer. In November, a five minute conversation changed all of their plans.
Jenny and Becca lived in a small, rural town in southwest Ohio called Greenfield. Greenfield existed as one square mile of civilization in the middle of farm land. There were a few manufacturing plants in town, but most of the commerce came from restaurants, gas stations, the school system, and farming. Jenny and Becca were some of the few lucky residents to actually live in that square mile. Jenny’s dad taught at the middle school and her mom worked at a local fast food place. Becca’s mom worked in a nearby town as an administrative assistant in the county office. Becca’s dad had been out of the picture for a long time, and rumor had it he had taken off with a bar maid to live in North Carolina. Both families were just barely getting food on the table and clothes in the closet, but this was standard fare in Greenfield, and they were far from being the most destitute families in town.
The girls were near the top of their class as far as grades were concerned, and no one would consider either of them to be a “troublemaker”. The girls were basically good - in the Greenfield way. They participated in school activities, attended high school games and dances, and partied on the weekends. They both had had their driver’s licenses since they were 16, but neither had a car of her own. Jenny always kept things under control when it came to partying. She had to since her parents always waited up for her. Becca always partied a little harder knowing Jenny would get her home and her mom would be sleeping when she got there. The trouble started over a boy.
Grant Anderson was one of the most popular boys in their high school. He had a twin brother named Seth, and both of them played soccer. Becca had been crushing on Grant since he first entered their middle school. Grant and Seth had attended Buckskin elementary, which was one of the outlying schools in the district. Jenny had recently become aware of Grant’s brother Seth, and had decided that she would be dating him by Christmas. The girls attended the Andersons’ soccer games religiously, hoping the boys would notice them. When soccer season ended, the girls started asking the boys to hang out with them in big groups. By the time basketball season started, all four of them were hanging out every weekend. The trouble began when Grant started flirting with Jenny at the basketball game.
Jenny, Becca, Grant, and Seth had decided to spend that Friday evening watching the Greenfield McClain Tigers take on the Hillsboro Indians in the Greenfield gym. The Greenfield-Hillsboro rivalry was huge when it came to basketball. The wooden bleachers were filled on both sides. The foursome decided to sit in the student section near the cheerleaders. Before the game, they hit the backroads to party. By halftime of the varsity game, they were feeling really good. Then, Grant started flirting with Jenny and Seth asked another girl to sit with them.
Jenny knew that Becca was madly in love with Grant, so she kept tying to ignore him and get Seth’s attention. Seth was totally digging Pammy, the girl he was talking to, and Jenny eventually gave up. By this time, Becca was coming down and still buzzing from the beer.
“Time to break the seal, Jenny-O,” Becca said. The two stood up and to walk to the lobby bathroom.
“We’ll be right back Grant-man. Don’t leave without us,” Jenny slurred as she tripped her way down the bleachers. Both girls were trying to play it cool as they walked past the parents and the Indians fans on their way out of the gym.
When they entered the lobby, they could see the line for the restroom was backed up to the display cases and ended halfway down the Tiger statue on top. “Wouldn’t it be cool if we could ride that Tiger into the restroom and hurry those bitches up?” Jenny asked Becca.
“Fuck the Tiger,” Becca snarled. “What the hell were you doing with Grant back there? You know he’s supposed to be for me.”
“I wasn’t doing anything. I can’t help it if he flirts with me, Becca,” Jenny whined. “You’ve had three months to make your move, and you haven’t done a damn thing. Seth isn’t into me and Grant is. I don’t want it that way either. If you want me to dis him, I will. You know you’re more important to me than some stupid boy.”
“No, you’re right. He likes you, not me. I should just get over it and find someone else to crush on,” Becca said apologetically. “If he asks you out, go for it. No sense in both of us missing out on his sexiness.”
After they used the restroom and made it back to their seats, Grant asked Jenny out. She agreed and Becca smiled at her. When they were walking out of the gym after the Tigers won, Becca said, “I’m tired, and I think I’m starting to get a hang over. Would you guys mind dropping me off at my house?”
Seth said, “Sure. We can do that.” Then he turned to Pammy and asked, “You coming with? They will be plenty of room in my ride after we drop Becca off.” Pammy agreed and they drove to Becca’s house.
*****
Becca didn’t call Jenny for the rest of the weekend, and she didn’t return her calls. By Monday, Jenny knew something was wrong and confronted Becca before first period. “What’s up Becca-Jo?” Jenny asked innocently.
“Don’t talk to me, don’t look at me, and stay the fuck away from me. Did you really think that I’d be happy to see you after what you pulled this weekend?” Becca screeched.
“What are you talking about? You said it was okay if I went out with Grant. Don’t you remember? Why are you being such a bitch now?”
“The only bitch here is the skanky slut I’m looking at,” Becca raged. “But don’t worry - you’ll get yours before the year’s over. I can promise you that.” Then she turned and stalked away.
“Don’t talk to me, don’t look at me, and stay the fuck away from me. Did you really think that I’d be happy to see you after what you pulled this weekend?” Becca screeched.
“What are you talking about? You said it was okay if I went out with Grant. Don’t you remember? Why are you being such a bitch now?”
“The only bitch here is the skanky slut I’m looking at,” Becca raged. “But don’t worry - you’ll get yours before the year’s over. I can promise you that.” Then she turned and stalked away.
*****
After three weeks of dating Grant and ignoring Becca, Jenny decided she had made the right decision. Grant was fun, cute, and a great kisser. He introduced her to a cool internet site called MySpace.com where all of their friends had pages. Even though Jenny missed Becca, she was meeting all kinds of cool new people through the site. Some of them went to school in Hillsboro, Leesburg, or Court House, but they were all close enough to chill with on the weekends. When winter break started a few weeks later, Jenny had almost forgotten about Becca entirely.
Jenny logged on to MySpace as soon as she got home to check her messages. There were a few new ones from her friends, a couple of random ones, and one from Grant. She had a couple of new friend requests too. One friend request was from a girl named Sarah. Sarah had also sent her a message. It read:
Hey Jen-Lo,
I just saw your profile and decided to check your blogs. The blog where you talk about the bitch who turned on you over a guy she said you could date caught my eye. My friend just did the same thing to me. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty lonely for a new girl friend who isn’t a skeezy psycho. I go to Miami Trace and was wondering if you wanted to chat and maybe hang out sometime.
l8r,
Sarah
Jenny thought the message was a little weird, but had to admit that she was also a little lonely for a gal pal too. She clicked ‘add’ and began to reply to Sarah’s message.
Jenny logged on to MySpace as soon as she got home to check her messages. There were a few new ones from her friends, a couple of random ones, and one from Grant. She had a couple of new friend requests too. One friend request was from a girl named Sarah. Sarah had also sent her a message. It read:
Hey Jen-Lo,
I just saw your profile and decided to check your blogs. The blog where you talk about the bitch who turned on you over a guy she said you could date caught my eye. My friend just did the same thing to me. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty lonely for a new girl friend who isn’t a skeezy psycho. I go to Miami Trace and was wondering if you wanted to chat and maybe hang out sometime.
l8r,
Sarah
Jenny thought the message was a little weird, but had to admit that she was also a little lonely for a gal pal too. She clicked ‘add’ and began to reply to Sarah’s message.
*****
Although it was finally getting warmer outside, Jenny rushed into her room right after school. She wanted to see if Sarah was online yet, since she knew Trace let out about a half hour before she got home. Becca had started being a major bitch to her after winter break.
Becca started her attacks by spreading rumors about Grant and Jenny’s sex life all over school. When that didn’t work, she started coming on to Grant at parties. One night when Jenny wasn’t at the party, Becca got Grant drunk enough to convince him to let her give him head. Luckily for Grant, he was too drunk for anything to work right. Then Becca started vandalizing Jenny’s new (used) car by writing on it in Chap Stick, shaving cream, shoe polish, and even mustard. Jenny was about to tell he parents about what Becca was doing, but wanted Sarah’s advice first. Sarah always seemed to know exactly what Jenny was thinking and feeling and always gave her good advice.
Even though she had only been talking to Sarah for three months, Jenny already thought of her as a best friend and was hoping Sarah would be willing to meet her and hang out next weekend. First, she needed to ask Sarah’s advice on what to do about Becca.
Becca started her attacks by spreading rumors about Grant and Jenny’s sex life all over school. When that didn’t work, she started coming on to Grant at parties. One night when Jenny wasn’t at the party, Becca got Grant drunk enough to convince him to let her give him head. Luckily for Grant, he was too drunk for anything to work right. Then Becca started vandalizing Jenny’s new (used) car by writing on it in Chap Stick, shaving cream, shoe polish, and even mustard. Jenny was about to tell he parents about what Becca was doing, but wanted Sarah’s advice first. Sarah always seemed to know exactly what Jenny was thinking and feeling and always gave her good advice.
Even though she had only been talking to Sarah for three months, Jenny already thought of her as a best friend and was hoping Sarah would be willing to meet her and hang out next weekend. First, she needed to ask Sarah’s advice on what to do about Becca.
*****
As soon as Becca opened MySpace, she logged on as Sarah. She saw a new message from Jenny and started laughing.
Sarah,
You’ll never believe what the psycho bitch did to my car today. This time she used mustard! Mustard! At least it didn’t damage the paint like the Chap Stick did. This is the third time this month she’s done this. I think I should tell my parents, but I really don’t want to get her into trouble since I feel like this whole thing is my fault. What do you think I should do?
Luv,
Jenny
After reading the message, Becca felt a migraine coming on and headed for her bed.
Sarah woke up feeling refreshed. Although it was a little early for a nap, she didn’t mind. She saw the new message from Jenny and wrote her back telling her that she shouldn’t turn Becca in to her parents. Becca laughed at her for doing this, but she didn’t care. It was in both of their interests to keep Becca out of trouble. Becca’s laughing started giving Sarah a headache and she closed her eyes.
Becca wasn’t sure what was happening to her. Sometimes she really was Sarah and actually loved Jenny and wanted to help her. The rest of the time, she was still herself and hated Jenny more than ever. The closer Sarah and Jenny got and the more Sarah loved Jenny, the more jealous and bitter Becca became. It was like creating a fake profile on MySpace had created a split in Becca’s psyche. Becca still wanted Grant and hated Jenny for dating him all this time. Sarah was happy for Jenny and Grant and wanted to hang out with them as soon as possible.
Who would have thought stalking someone on MySpace with a fake profile would make things this complicated? Becca thought. I only wanted to get back at her for hurting me and now she’s seriously damaged me. There’s only one way out of this…
Sarah,
You’ll never believe what the psycho bitch did to my car today. This time she used mustard! Mustard! At least it didn’t damage the paint like the Chap Stick did. This is the third time this month she’s done this. I think I should tell my parents, but I really don’t want to get her into trouble since I feel like this whole thing is my fault. What do you think I should do?
Luv,
Jenny
After reading the message, Becca felt a migraine coming on and headed for her bed.
Sarah woke up feeling refreshed. Although it was a little early for a nap, she didn’t mind. She saw the new message from Jenny and wrote her back telling her that she shouldn’t turn Becca in to her parents. Becca laughed at her for doing this, but she didn’t care. It was in both of their interests to keep Becca out of trouble. Becca’s laughing started giving Sarah a headache and she closed her eyes.
Becca wasn’t sure what was happening to her. Sometimes she really was Sarah and actually loved Jenny and wanted to help her. The rest of the time, she was still herself and hated Jenny more than ever. The closer Sarah and Jenny got and the more Sarah loved Jenny, the more jealous and bitter Becca became. It was like creating a fake profile on MySpace had created a split in Becca’s psyche. Becca still wanted Grant and hated Jenny for dating him all this time. Sarah was happy for Jenny and Grant and wanted to hang out with them as soon as possible.
Who would have thought stalking someone on MySpace with a fake profile would make things this complicated? Becca thought. I only wanted to get back at her for hurting me and now she’s seriously damaged me. There’s only one way out of this…
*****
Jenny was excited when Sarah messaged her back on MySpace. After talking to her online for the last three months, she was actually going to meet her new friend at the skating rink in Court House. At first, she was worried she wouldn’t be able to recognize Sarah, but then she remembered that Sarah had blue hair. She should be easy to pick out of a crowd, thought Jenny as she finished primping.
Fifteen minutes later, she was standing outside the skating rink wondering if this meeting was a mistake. What if we don’t like each other as much in person, she worried. Only one way to find out.
When Jenny walked in to Roller Haven, she immediately began scanning the crowd for blue hair. She didn’t see anyone. She did see Becca in the game room talking to some older guys. She decided to lay low by the door so Becca wouldn’t see her. She was actually about ten minutes early and figured Sarah must be running late.
A few minutes later, Jenny finally spotted a blue-haired girl walking in the front door. When the girl saw her, she waved and pointed to the door. Then she turned and walked back out. Jenny followed her outside and saw her at the edge of the building motioning Jenny to come around the corner. Jenny figured she must be drinking or smoking and followed her.
Fifteen minutes later, she was standing outside the skating rink wondering if this meeting was a mistake. What if we don’t like each other as much in person, she worried. Only one way to find out.
When Jenny walked in to Roller Haven, she immediately began scanning the crowd for blue hair. She didn’t see anyone. She did see Becca in the game room talking to some older guys. She decided to lay low by the door so Becca wouldn’t see her. She was actually about ten minutes early and figured Sarah must be running late.
A few minutes later, Jenny finally spotted a blue-haired girl walking in the front door. When the girl saw her, she waved and pointed to the door. Then she turned and walked back out. Jenny followed her outside and saw her at the edge of the building motioning Jenny to come around the corner. Jenny figured she must be drinking or smoking and followed her.
*****
That’s it. Come to me bitch, thought Becca as she straightened her blue wig and adjusted her fake glasses. Pay day is finally here…
NO! screamed Sarah inside Becca’s head. I won’t let you do this, you conniving bitch. I will stop you.
Becca stumbled to one knee. Sarah picked herself up off the ground and dusted off her jeans from the struggle. When she turned around, Jenny was standing there smiling.
“Jenny, I don’t have much time,” Sarah said calmly. “I’ve been lying to you. Not on purpose, but you have to listen to me now. Becca’s after you,” she said as she pulled off her wig and glasses. “When you hurt her, she couldn’t handle the rage inside her. She created me on MySpace to get back at you. She may be able to gain control again before I can explain everything. You need to grab you cell and call her mom to come get her. She’s having some serious issues and she may…” Sarah grabbed her head and screamed in pain.
“She may what?” Jenny yelled, tears streaming down her face. “What is she going to do?”
“Put an end to you bitch,” Becca cried brandishing a chef’s knife from her back pocket. “Make you feel the pain and betrayal you caused me. I told you you’d pay, and you will. You’ll pay in blood.”
Jenny began backing away, and backed right into Grant. “I thought you might need someone here in case things went wrong,” Grant said calmly, putting himself between Becca and Jenny. “Becca, I’m sorry I hurt you. This is all my fault, not Jenny’s. I didn’t know how you felt about me, and I didn’t try to care.”
“Grant you’re an asshole. Get out of my way before I have to cut you too,” Becca said crying. “This just proves that the only thing you ever cared about was Jenny. I helped you with your homework, washed your car, and listened to you lame lyrics… and you wanted HER!”
Grant stepped toward Becca with his arms wide open. “Come on Bec, you don’t want to do this. We didn’t want to hurt you, not like this. Put down the knife and we’ll help you get better.”
“There is no better,” Becca whispered. “Only blood will make it better. Make her go away and give me my life back. I…. I just… want… my life back.” Becca screamed in pain and fell to the ground unconscious.
NO! screamed Sarah inside Becca’s head. I won’t let you do this, you conniving bitch. I will stop you.
Becca stumbled to one knee. Sarah picked herself up off the ground and dusted off her jeans from the struggle. When she turned around, Jenny was standing there smiling.
“Jenny, I don’t have much time,” Sarah said calmly. “I’ve been lying to you. Not on purpose, but you have to listen to me now. Becca’s after you,” she said as she pulled off her wig and glasses. “When you hurt her, she couldn’t handle the rage inside her. She created me on MySpace to get back at you. She may be able to gain control again before I can explain everything. You need to grab you cell and call her mom to come get her. She’s having some serious issues and she may…” Sarah grabbed her head and screamed in pain.
“She may what?” Jenny yelled, tears streaming down her face. “What is she going to do?”
“Put an end to you bitch,” Becca cried brandishing a chef’s knife from her back pocket. “Make you feel the pain and betrayal you caused me. I told you you’d pay, and you will. You’ll pay in blood.”
Jenny began backing away, and backed right into Grant. “I thought you might need someone here in case things went wrong,” Grant said calmly, putting himself between Becca and Jenny. “Becca, I’m sorry I hurt you. This is all my fault, not Jenny’s. I didn’t know how you felt about me, and I didn’t try to care.”
“Grant you’re an asshole. Get out of my way before I have to cut you too,” Becca said crying. “This just proves that the only thing you ever cared about was Jenny. I helped you with your homework, washed your car, and listened to you lame lyrics… and you wanted HER!”
Grant stepped toward Becca with his arms wide open. “Come on Bec, you don’t want to do this. We didn’t want to hurt you, not like this. Put down the knife and we’ll help you get better.”
“There is no better,” Becca whispered. “Only blood will make it better. Make her go away and give me my life back. I…. I just… want… my life back.” Becca screamed in pain and fell to the ground unconscious.
*****
When Grant and Jenny entered the hospital room, they could tell they were looking at the old Becca. The anger was gone, and Sarah was too. Becca wouldn’t be coming back to school because of the therapy and meds she needed to deal with the pain and anger that caused her psyche to split. But while they couldn’t forget the night at Roller Haven, they could forgive and try to support Becca through what lay ahead.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home